Sunday, March 2, 2008

Iguazu Falls

The next few days we spent in Buenos Aires doing many of the things we had not done previously. I went to the San Telmo section of the city and walked on cobble stone streets through the antiques district. I was also able to see a home that was only 3 meters wide but 50 meters long. The story told is the land was given to a group of freed slaves by their previous owner and they worked with what they had to build therir home on their land!

I next headed over to the Recoleta Cemetary which is the burial site of famous Argentine Evita Peron as well as many others famous and elite alike. It sounds somewhat odd but the cemetary represents one of the most famous tourist attractions in Buenos Aires as well as source of pride for the portenas, rightfully so. It was absolutely beautiful, I literally walked around with awe at the amazing graves that families had made for themselves. Some of them were so ornate made of marble and intricate details such as paintings and wrought iron designs. I could have spent an entire day there and still not be able to see all the graves. It certainly was not like any cemetary have been to before..

We were able to hang out with Florencia (our couch surfing friend) and Beth (one of our new friends from Diablo) on our last night in the city. It was great to just hang out on the roof of the hostel and have some good laughes with our new friends. I have very much enjoyed my time in Buenos Aires and it´s position as my home away from home in South America.

We arrived in Puerto Iguazu after and long yet luxorious bus ride. We were given hot meals, served drinks and given blankets and pillows to sleep with. It was a much better experience than our flight down on American I can tell you that!

Our first day was spent settling in doing nothing particularly exciting. But on our second day we went to falls!!!! I do not know how to explain the falls through my blog because they were simply amazing! No seriously I still cannot get over how powerful and breathtaking they were. The falls for those who do not know creates part of the border between Brasil and Argentina.Therefore Brasil claims part of the falls as thier own and Argentina does the same. From the Argetine side you are able to see everything so it did not really matter. On our first day at the falls Mara and I walked the lower loop looking at the falls from the bottom. We took a ferry boat across the river to Isla San Miguel to get other views. We were able to get in a lovely swim on the island as well which was greatly needed with the temperature near 90. With each new place we stood we were able to see different views and waterfalls. The thing with the falls is that there are many different sets of waterfalls that you really cannot see everything at all at once. The falls are literally that massive that in order to see everything you have two loops, a train ride and a trip out to the island.

On the second day at the falls Mara and I went to Garganta del Diablo which is another section of the falls, it is about 1.5 kilometers away from the rest of the falls. The amount of water passing through the U shaped area was absolutely one of the memorable things I have ever seen in my life thus far I could literally have sat there for hours just watching water fall so fluidly over the edge and crash hundreds of feet below spraying up with a cool mist. I wish I could take everyone reading this to the falls so you could actually experience the almost rush like sensation that you feel when you see them. After the Garganta del Diablo, Mara and I walked the loop on the top of the falls we had seen the day before. We then took a nature walk to our very own waterfall where we could swim. I am so glad that I was able to see the falls and marvel in them. I will put up pictures and atempt at video but I don´t think they do the falls justice. You all will just have to visit!!!

Here is a link to Wikipedia about Iguazu (sorry I know wikipedia is lame!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

We have spend today hanging out and soaking up the sun. Tonight we are boarding a bus for Resistencia. We do not know much about it but I am sure we will learn soon enough. Pictures to follow so long as the internet cooperates.

No comments: